I recently uploaded a video to my Youtube channel. Following is the video and, as promised, the video transcript is below.
Don’t forget to Like and Subscribe to my Youtube channel, Poking Holes! 🙂
Here is the link to the video on my Youtube Channel: CPTSD Recovery (Ep2): What is CPTSD & Can I Recover From it?
Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (CPTSD)
What is CPTSD and Can I Recover From it?
“CPTSD is a learned set of responses and a failure to complete numerous important developmental tasks.” ~ Pete Walker (pete-walker.com)
“Complex Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is defined as a psychological stress injury which results from ongoing or repeated trauma over which the victim has little or no control, and from which there is no real or perceived hope of escape.” ~ outofthestorm.website
Common Symptoms of CPTSD
- Emotional Flashbacks
- Toxic Shame
- Self Abandonment
- Inner Critic/Outer Critic
- Social Anxiety
- Fragile Self Esteem
- Oversensitivity to stressful situations
- Hair-triggered fight/flight response
- Difficulties in Personal Relationships
- Suicidal Ideation
For a more comprehensive list see pete-walker.com
The Good News….
- We can retrain the brain.
- CPTSD is caused by our environment.
- It is not genetic.
- It is not part of our true character, so it is possible to change the behaviours associated with CPTSD.
- These behaviours were learned in response to the abusive and/or neglectful environment we grew up in.
More Good News….
- If we can learn something, we can unlearn it.
- What was not learned growing up, can be learned now.
- It’s not too late! Recovery from CPTSD is possible if you do the work.
- Don’t expect your progress to be in a straight line. It is more of a spiral shape. As you progress in your recovery, you need to review things you covered at an earlier date, just on a deeper level each time.
Resources I Find Helpful in My Ongoing Recovery from CPTSD:
- The book, “Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving”, by Pete Walker. This is a must have!
- Visit Pete Walker’s website, pete-walker.com, for more information on how to order the book, and for some great free resources.
- Richard Grannon the Spartan Life Coach
- Google! 🙂
Thank you for watching/reading! 😀
Please follow my blog and make sure to subscribe to my youtube channel, so you can be notified when CPTSD Recovery (Ep3) is released. 🙂
If you haven’t seen CPTSD Recovery (Ep1) yet, here is a link to that video CPTSD Recovery Ep1: Symptoms of CPTSD, and here is a link to the blog post.